Monday, January 19, 2009

No doubt about it


I can't be sure why - in fact I have my doubts (boom boom), but from the poster art and some mixed reviews I was anticipating Doubt to be a slow, excruciating, black and white period piece of a film which I'd appreciate, but certainly not adore. Wrong. Wrong wrong wrong.

Based on the Pulitzer Prize-winning play of the same name, Doubt is a beautiful film, fast paced yet considered, smart yet utterly entertaining. With Meryl Streep and Phillip Seymour Hoffman in the lead roles, I always knew the acting would be incredible but, as always, still managed to be surprised at just how good, good can get.

It all went so fast and left me so enraptured that as the credits rolled and the lights went up, I felt almost as if I'd been watching a short film. It doesn't get better than that.